Give your picnic, party or cookout a carnival flair with this fun-to-devour favorite. When dipped in a batter of cornmeal, flour and raw cane sugar, these skewered hot dogs are encased with a crispy golden-brown goodness that adds a crunchy sweetness to juicy, meaty franks. Great for dipping in any traditional or housemade sauce or condiment.
- 6 hot dogs 6 hot dogs
- 2 cups all purpose flour 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups cornmeal 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar 1 cup Florida Crystals® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sambal 1 tablespoon sambal
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 quarts peanut oil 3 quarts peanut oil
Pat the hot dogs down with a paper towel so that they are completely dry. Skewer with a long wood skewer.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, sambal and butter and then add to the dry ingredients. Place the batter in a tall container like a water glass.
In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil to 360°F.
Dip the hot dogs into the batter and coat evenly. Fry until golden brown (about 8 minutes) and turning as necessary.
Remove from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
Serve with choice of dipping sauces. We recommend serving with our carrot ketchup.
Meet the Chef
Steven McHugh is the Chef and Owner of Cured at Pearl. He opened his first solo project, Cured, in the revitalized Pearl District of San Antonio. For his work at Cured, Chef McHugh was nominated for the James Beard Award "Best Chef: Southwest" in 2016, 2017 and 2020.
Read trends and ideas from the culinary professionals at Domino Foods Inc. to help you grow your business.