Spicy, tangy, citrusy – all come together for a barbecue sauce that gives your meat a robust kick of unforgettable flavor. This unique yet surprisingly accessible sauce pairs especially well with pork and brisket but works well on whatever you’re barbecuing. Bacon, onions and sugar are added for even more irresistible delectability.
Chipotle Grapefruit Barbecue Sauce
- 4 slices bacon 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup onions, diced 1 cup onions, diced
- 7 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce 7 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- ¼ cup garlic, chopped ¼ cup garlic, chopped
- 2 cups grapefruit juice 2 cups grapefruit juice
- 2 cups Domino® or C&H® Dark Brown Sugar 2 cups Domino® or C&H® Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 cups ketchup 2 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons salt 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 cup water 1 cup water
Chop the bacon slices and render in a pan until lightly crispy, add onions and caramelize.
While onions are cooking, place chipotle and adobo sauce in a food processor and pulse to a paste.
Once the onions are caramelized, add all remaining ingredients and simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool before serving.
Meet the Chef
Taylor Chambers is the Executive Chef of Justine's Brasserie. An industry veteran, Chambers is a self-taught, peer-taught executive chef, leading culinary operations at Justine’s in Austin.
Read trends and ideas from the culinary professionals at Domino Foods Inc. to help you grow your business.